Wednesday, June 29, 2011

English Camp Granada


You better read this blog because I´m having to type this twice. It erased it the first time!

Catch Up: Exhuastion
We just ended day 3 of English Camp Granada. It is tough. I am totally exhausted by 2 p.m. when we end. I am working with 11 year olds, and they seem more than any group to be the toughest. In fact, almost everyday Marteen Slot tells me how much he wishes he could split my group because of how hard it is. But I always like a good challenge :)  So I get up at 7 am and am at the Centro Civico by 8. The students arrive at 9. We have a snack around 12 and they leave around 2. It makes for a really long day. I come home and eat lunch and then it is off to bed for a good long siesta.

At camp, I am in charge of 6 students in my break out group. I have 2 girls who hangout by themselves. Then 1 boy who is a year younger and therefore outcast. Also 1 who is really smart but socially awkward and outcast. And then 2 boys who are chulito (they have big heads). It makes for a really tough group. Then, I am one of what is supposed to be 3 workers with the blue group (the older kids), but 1 of the monitors has moved over to just working in the English Class. That means it is just Ms. Judy and I working with like 15 kids! So I am pretty exhausted. But it has been fun and we have a good team of monitors here to work with.

Cool Moment:
I was able to talk with the host mother, she is pretty much the only one who speaks English. We got on the subject of Catholicism. She sounded much more like a Protestant than a Catholic. She does not attend Mass on a regular basis because she gets nothing out of it and says the people are all hypocritical anyway. She does attend a Catholic small group and she told me this has been great. Unfortunately, she didn´t make a strong statement about Jesus, but she did tell me repeatedly that she believes in God. A very interesting conversation. Hopefully, God will use the broken conversation and difficult translating to do something great in her life and in mine.

Prayer requests:
>ENERGY
>EXCITMENT
>That I can continue to be a light to the host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment